2023-24 School Innovation and Improvement Plan
Our outcome goals for this academic year.
Lorton Station ES Region 6
Francis Legagneur Ed. D, Principal
English Language Arts
Ensure students progress sufficiently to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- By June 2024, the percentage of PreK-3 students who meet the spring benchmark in reading (as measured by LLS, PALS, or iReady) will increase from 54% to 76%.
- Improve daily, systematic, explicit instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, and morphology in the core language arts block.
- Improve interactive read-aloud for building knowledge and vocabulary through texts affirming students' lived experiences.
- Increase intentional use of scaffolds, supports, and extensions in whole group settings (word recognition, language comprehension, and writing).
Ensure students progress sufficiently to be on grade level in Mathematics
- By the end of SY 23 - 24, 100% of the students in grades 4 - 6 will meet the spring math screener benchmark as measured by the iReady math assessment.
- Increase teacher's implementation strategies related to Shift 8: from looking for correct answers to revealing student thinking.
- Improve teachers’ implementation of Framework for Engaging & Student-Centered Mathematics Instruction.
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Reduction in chronic absenteeism from 20.5% to 14.5% by the end of the 2023-2024 school year
- Strengthening messaging to staff, students, and families around attendance at school. Each stakeholder should understand how daily attendance matters for academic success and because the school offers an opportunity to develop social and emotional skills such as listening, paying attention, problem-solving, and self-regulation, all needed to grow and learn
- Create a school culture of engagement & belonging for students and families. Staff, students, and families will feel safe and connected to the school community.